The THICK selection natural goat skin is suitable for standard to oversize djembes up to 15″ in playable surface diameter. The skins tend to be 21″ wide by about 26-28″ long, and are shipped rolled up like a scroll and taped (the tape is easily removed without damaging the skin). When installed and tuned properly this high quality African goat skin is capable of providing the classic djembe sound with low bass, medium tones, and high, clear slaps. Each skin is selected from our on-hand inventory of hair-on goat hides from Mali, West Africa, is and inspected for natural flaws or defects that could affect sound or longevity of the skin. Skins come varying in thickness, so we classify them as Light (thin), Standard, Thick, and Ultra Thick. This listing is for the Thick, which is suitable for larger djembes that will be under higher tension, as solo instruments. Natural flaws will exist around the perimeter, and the skin may have a natural goat hide odor, especially when wet. After installation and drying any strong odor almost always dissipates. Hair color and skin pigmentation vary, with the majority of top layer skin pigment being greyish-brown (shave deeper for lighter skin color). Note that this is not a tanned goat skin; it is raw, directly from the animal skin markets in Bamako, Mali. It is intended for use as a djembe head replacement, and will require skill to install onto the drum. Skin Warranty: Before shipping each skin is inspected for natural flaws that may affect longevity or sound, and we will accept returns of new skins if a natural blemish is found upon arrival. Because the shaving, soaking, mounting, drying, and tuning processes ares subject to the skill of the drum builder, and to the natural strength of the skin, we cannot warranty skins once they have been soaked or shaved.
- Suitable for all goat-skin drums and djembes up to 15″ playable surface (21″ wide x 26″ long)
- Hair left on the skin, which requires shaving to produce the proper djembe sound – THICK selection
- From Mali, West Africa – raw and natural with no chemical treatment or bleach (not leather)
- Most skin pigments are light greyish-brown, will have minor blemishes around the edges
- Your purchase of this goat skin helps support the efforts of Africa Heartwood Project .org