The MPD2 Series is a product of more than six years of detailed customer research and user feedback. We asked what you wanted and listened closely to what you told us to create the most capable and user-friendly line of pad controllers Akai Professional has developed to date.
The MPD218’s 16 new, ultra-sensitive Thick Fat MPC pads, create a responsive user experience. It also has an expanded control set of six knobs in three banks versus one control on the previous MPD18 model. This will enable you to maximize your sound and give you increased control over effects.
MIDI information is sent over its plug-and-play USB interface for use on Mac or PC, eliminating the need to install any drivers. The USB connection powers the MPD218, so the included USB cable is all you need.
Our MPD2 Series marks an important evolution of the pad controller. Many years of research and customer feedback has led directly to some of the most capable pad controllers we’ve ever developed. These MPDs are the perfect bridge between your creativity and your computer-based studio.
Frequently Asked Questions
What software is included with my purchase, and where can I download?
The MPD218 includes Ableton Live Lite, MPC Essentials, Big, Bang Cinematic Percussion, Big Bang Universal Drums, MPD218 Editor. Once you have registered the product in your Akai Pro User Account you will have download links for all titles except Ableton. You will be able to download Ableton via a download card that is included in the box.
Are the pads different?
The pads are called Thick Fat MPC pads, which are completely redesigned.
Does the product require an additional power supply?
The MPD218 is powered by the included USB cable, and does not require an additional power supply.
Does the product require drivers, and where can I download them from?
The MPD218 is class compliant, and does not require any drivers.
Is the product compatible with the latest Windows, and Mac operating systems?
Since the MPD218 is class compliant it is immediately compatible with all current Windows, and Mac operating systems.
Will this work with my IOS device?
This is iOS compatible using the Apple Camera Connection Kit (sold separately).
Are the pads velocity sensitive?
The MPD2 series definitely has velocity sensitive pads—and they’re awesome.
- (16) velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads, red-backlit
- (3) banks accessible via Pad Bank button
- (6) 360° assignable potentiometers
- (3) banks accessible via Control Bank button
- Buttons: 6 buttons
- (1) USB port
- (1) Kensington lock
- Power: via USB connection
- Dimensions (width x depth x height): 9.4” x 7.9” x 1.6”
- Weight: 1.65 lbs.
- USB Cable
- Software Download Cards
- User Guide
- Safety & Warranty Manual
- Simple, small, feature-packed pad controller for finger drumming and music production
- 16 Thick Fat backlit MPC pads (48 assignable pads accessible via 3 banks)
- 6 control knobs (18 assignable knobs accessible via 3 banks)
- USB-powered through computer, no AC adapter required
- Includes free software titles Ableton Live Lite, Akai Pro MPC Essentials, SONiVOX Big Bang Cinematic Percussion and Big Bang Universal Drums